Myanmar (Burma) - Stirring The Imagination
Administrative Map Of Burma (www.vidiani.com)
Myanmar consists of Seven States and Seven Divisions
- Kachin State (Northern Myanmar)
- Shan State (North-Eastern Myanmar)
- Kayah/Karenni State (Eastern Myanmar)
- Kayin/Karen State (South-Eastern Myanmar)
- Mon State (South-Eastern Myanmar)
- Thaninthayi/Tenasserim Division (South-Eastern Myanmar)
- Yangon/Rangoon Division (Southern Myanmar)
- Irrawaddy/Ayeyarwaddy Division (Southern Myanmar)
- Bago/Pegu Division (Central Myanmar)
- Mandalay Division (North-Central Myanmar)
- Magwe Division (West-Centre Myanmar)
- Rakhine/Arakan State (South-Western Myanmar)
- Chin State (North-Western Myanmar)
- Sagaing Division (Northern Myanmar)
All these states and divisions together become the country Myanmar, whereas 'Bama' is still used for areas not including the Ethnic States.
Burma is a diverse country full of fascinating people, habits, cultures, superstitions and traditions stemming from a history that has had to adapt to different political and social circumstances. Since it has been isolated from the outside world for a long time, parts of Burma are still very much untouched, which keeps ideas fresh and unique.
The villages come up with unique ways to deal with different adversities and the way of life outside the city is slow and relaxed. Family is an important part of everyday Burmese life.
Although Yangon is the hub for Art exhibitions and Art galleries in Burma, many of the artists come from all over the country to show their work. Some artist travel back and forth, and some have settled in Yangon for work.
For example - Fela (Mandalay), Sit Mone (Mandalay), Min Nwe Swe (Sagaing), Dawei Lay (Dawei), Myint San Myint (Dawei), Eain Aye Kyaw (Rakhine), Min Sayar Oo (Mon), Ye Min (Ayeyarwaddy - Mawlamyaingyun), Zwe Mon (Yangon), Zwe Yan Naing (Rakhine).
Many find it difficult to display their Art outside of the city as there are not many patrons, curators or supporters. This is what Nawaday Gallery wishes to be, the bridge between voices.
Other Art Galleries in Yangon:
There are many other galleries in Yangon, over 20 in Yangon - some that are supporting upcoming artists and some that only support well-established artists.
Inle, Shan State:
We also stumbled over an Art Gallery in Inle, where we met a lovely curator of Art. He has a gallery full of different art collections.
Just ask your boat driver to take you.